Saturday 28 December 2019

An Important Announcement

It's with a hint of sadness, and relief, that I have to make this post.

After very careful thought and consideration I have decided that it's time to end my "Future Worlds" series of Doctor Who adventures.

I began this journey many, many years ago. The ideas and stories have been with me since I was a child and it was only in 2012 when I finally translated my thoughts and ideas properly to the page.

But the time has come. It's no exaggeration to say that I've been struggling to write just recently. After eight years of continuous writing it was bound to happen. There are many other reasons though. I've always said I write for the enjoyment

of it, not for how many readers I get. But I currently have maybe one or two readers (who I absolutely appreciate) and I'm

not enjoying it anymore. It's a chore to churn out stories and when it becomes a struggle the stories suffer. Personal life has also taken over. I get very little time to myself these days and I have to spend that free time on things that make me happy. I also didn't take into account how difficult it would be to stop writing for certain characters. The team of McAvoy's Doctor with Holly and Lilly was my all time favourite TARDIS crew to write for and I have missed writing for them so much that anything else just doesn't give me that same feeling anymore.

So, where to now?

The good news is that I'm not going to leave everything hanging. I did that many years ago with the original incarnation of the series (back when it was called the NDA's), and I'm not going to let that happen again. I have always had a very clear direction for where "Elysium" was going and I'm too invested in ongoing character and story lines to just drop it. So I'm going to finish it off, with a few modifications.

Initially there was going to be a run of around 15 or 16 stories with a number of arc-heavy "tent-pole" stories coming at intervals. Well the small stories are now getting abandoned and the series will end with three larger than normal stories. I suppose you could see it as the "Name of the Doctor / Day of the Doctor / Time of the Doctor" trilogy at the end of Matt Smith's run.

As it stands the next story will still be "A Town Called Freedom", which will see us catch up and say a final goodbye to Thor's resistance crew. It's more important than that though. The story will change the Doctor as he finally finds out some huge truths about what has possibly been happening to him. Events in this story will change the Doctor forever.

We then lose the story "Mary", which will have some elements rolled into the previous story. We will also lose "Carry On Camping", which, although I had some fun plans for, was again just a filler story.

The second of the big stories will be "The Windows to Nowhere" which will see the return of UNIT: X as they investigate holes in the fabric of space and time. It will also see the return of Holly Dangerfield and Lilly Galloway as they go looking for a broken Doctor.

Elements from that story will then tie into the grand finale, which is currently titled "The Army of Elysium". But I can't say much about that at the moment. The series and the entire saga will end here. There are no plans for any follow-ups or new series or any new Doctors. The only thing I might do is something with Holly and Lilly, but that's a big "if".

Don't be sad for me though. This is a happy moment for me. I finally feel like I am completing something and I look forward to finally bringing things to an end.

More details to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment